Assistant/Associate Professor of Career and Technical Education (Teaching and Training
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Category: Other Technical and Career Faculty
Provide Rank: Assistant/Associate Professor
Position Number: 096711
Department: Curriculum & Instruction – 260050
- Earned doctorate in Career & Technical Education, or closely related area; ABD considered with completion by start date.
- Ability to teach Career & Technical Education courses in the undergraduate and graduate teacher education programs, as well as the undergraduate Workforce Leadership and Development areas.
- Experience with online teaching and learning and strong computer skills required.
- Eligibility for North Carolina teaching licensure in one of the CTE areas required.
- P-12 teaching experience required.
- Evidence of scholarly potential required.
- Commitment to working in a community of practice, to a social constructivist perspective of teaching and learning, working in a multi-disciplinary team, and to working with diverse populations.
Areas of Interest (No Minimum Level Required)
- Established record of scholarship/creative activity.
- Established record of leadership.
- Two years CTE teaching experience, grades 6-12.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Workforce or business-related experience.
Eligibility for North Carolina teaching licensure in one of the CTE areas required.
Description of the Department or Unit
The Career and Technical Education (CTE) Program at Appalachian State University is comprised of seven areas of concentration, including six CTE teaching licensure concentrations and the innovative Workforce Leadership & Development (non-teaching) concentration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and teaching face-to-face and online courses in Career & Technical Education in the undergraduate and graduate teacher education programs, and supervision of internships.
- Developing and teaching online undergraduate courses in Workforce Development, Leadership, and Planning as required.
- Engagement in program, department, college, and professional service.
- Engagement in scholarly activity, including peer reviewed publications and grants.
- Advising undergraduate and graduate students as required.
- Actively engage in program marketing and recruitment.
Type of Position: Full Time Position
Appointment Type: 1.0
Number Of Months Per Year: 9
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of classroom and educational environments in a professional position at a university.
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls more than 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Posting Date: 10/21/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 08/21/2023
Suggested Salary Range: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For a complete application, please apply and submit all below-required documents electronically through Appalachian State University’s Job Board:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least three professional references with contact information
- License/Certification, if available
Please note this position is based on enrollment and subject to available funding.
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.
Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.
Search Chair Name
Search Chair Email
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/EEO Officer
Office of Human Resources
330 University Hall Dr.
Boone, NC 28608
Office of Title IX Compliance
123 I.G. Greer Hall
Boone, NC 28608
ADA/504 Coordinator & Office of Disability Resources Director
Office of Disability Resources
224 Joyce Lawrence Lane/Suite 112 Anne Belk Hall
Boone, NC 28608